Sunday, July 7, 2013

Days 11 & 12

Sometimes in life, I feel like I am drifting in this big ocean, getting tossed around by all the waves that come my way, and I'm just struggling to stay afloat. Lately it's felt a lot like that. Turbulent, stormy, and I've seemed to have navigated off course. Not that I'm headed for a waterfall or anything, but I've just forgotten where I was going in the first place! Has that ever happened to you? (Never mind the opening the fridge amnesia that strikes us all at some point, lol!)  Well, today the guiding beacon of a light house shone right through this storm, in the form of the family that runs the Travis Hospitality House. Carmen invited me to a bible study and before I could choose one of my myriad list of excuses, I decided to go. And what a blessing it was. The Nfaziger family is just an awesome example of Christ's body in action. Their passion for the advancement of the gospel and their love of people is so evident in their hospitality and encouragement so freely given. They minister to the men, women, and families of Travis Air Force Base, and they truly provide a "home away from home" atmosphere for people to enjoy and fellowship.  If you are looking to donate to a local missionary, please pray and consider donating to Sue & Sandy's Hospitality House - you can donate online through Cadence International. They host bible studies and serve at the Chapel on base, and run the PEAK internet coffee and Cafe near the dorms.  What a wonderful refuge for the single Airmen! Anyway, just wanted to give them some praise for the work they are doing for God's kingdom, and thankful that they are there!

We also got a new pool today for the boys. This is a particular blessing because a) we got it on sale even though the sale ended last week, and b) It provides unlimited entertainment for the boys on these endless hot summer days! So, the story behind the sale - yesterday, I went to the Target in Vacaville and they were all sold out of this pool that was on sale....so today, I went to Target in Fairfield with the specific intention of buying this pool if they had it in stock. Well, they did, but it wasn't on sale anymore. As the helpful salesperson pointed out, the sale ended at midnight. Well, I was probably going to end up buying it anyway, but it was a $20 price difference, so I had to really think about it, so I tried to harness my rowdy children into a quiet hush so I could hear my own thoughts, and I began to walk back towards the aisle where the pools were.  The other cashier, named Josh, asked me if I was only there to buy the pool, to which I replied sadly, "Yes." and explained what happened yesterday at the other target and how bummed out I was about missing the sale...well, he told me, "It's okay. I can do that price, no problem." I was seriously shocked. I mean, people usually aren't nice anymore, and most certainly aren't willing to go above and beyond and actually be helpful! (Sadly). Score! Seriously, I was so excited about that, I wrote his name down and I will make it a point to get him some good feedback on the store survey! (For the record, the worldly person in me immediately figured my credit card was going to be somehow pirated. I'll still check that, just to be sure...)


The boys patiently waited for what seemed like days for the pool to fill, and managed to suck out the last of my graciousness by the time it was finally ready for them to swim in. I'm such a manic mom sometimes, one second I'm hyping them up for the new pool, and the next second I'm yelling at them to pick up their room like-i-told-them-to-ten-times-already.  While they were waiting, I actually snapped a pic of them HELPING each other put on "gunscreen" as Isaac calls it. It made me forget what a miserable car ride it was earlier, which was wonderfully needed. I give this pool 3 days until it dies a quick, sad death serenaded with 3 little boy's laughter.

So, we have been busy, missing our "daddy" and creating summer memories....one that we almost crossed off our summer bucket list was "go to a drive-in movie." I say almost because we actually sat in traffic for over an hour and by the time we got to the gate, it was sold out! There was weeping and gnashing of teeth over this one, but I soothed the pain with Red Vines and popcorn and peanut butter m&m's! Who knew that the Drive-In was so popular?? Who knew you had to get there 2 HOURS early in order to be able to park? Well, now we do, and we will plan a little better next time, right Carmen? Lol. We actually set up the entire back of the van with the foam mattress, blankets & Pillows and we were ready to watch Monsters University! Oh well. 

Prayer for today:

Lord, you know the desires of my heart. You know I need you, and you patiently wait for me to turn my eyes toward you.  Lord, help me be a good steward of my time, and let me not forget where I am going in this life.  My purpose here is to do your will, to disciple my children and other women, and to love you.  Don't let me be distracted by this world and it's shallow and simple promises. I want to hold on to your promises, stay on the path you've created just for me. Help me be content in my situation and recognize that this time I have with my boys is so short. This life is a vapor, and it cannot be wasted. I turn my thoughts, heart, mind and soul over to you. I don't want control, navigate me through this storm so that I will end up in the safety of your arms. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...