Friday, July 5, 2013

Days 9 & 10

Happy 4th (and 5th)! I was so exhausted last night I couldn't even scroll through my facebook newsfeed. Now that's tired! We had a very uneventful Independence Day, which pleases me, because I hate crowds and drama! Actually, I dread going into any situation with more kids than I have hands. That part of me that needs to control situations just shrivels up and dies a slow painful death...usually taking my sanity down with it.


We started our day off with Pinterest-inspired cinnamon roll waffles, with cream cheese greek yogurt "diappage" (the boys dubbed anything you dip something into "dippage"- thus adding to the long dictionary of cascio-created terminology).  They were delicious! Even after my spinach-egg-white breakfast I managed to take one down. Sniff was the first to join me and gleefully broke the eggs for me and watched over the KitchenAid to make sure everything was getting mixed together. Notice the ear-sniffage. He wasn't fully awake yet, and still has to be attached to the "bink-blank" until food is ready. It's funny, Jeff and I always said he is the one who is a "crib to bib" kinda guy, and he still is!

E, of course, was very suspicious of the waffles because they had cinnamon-butter swirled in and looked different. He mistrusts anything that doesn't look like chocolate or ice cream right up front.  Once he tasted, he was sold (note Luke's expression, he was like, "See, I told you they are good!") They each ate about 3 waffles. I know Dyl is happy about all these ridiculous meals (the Turkey Pot pie was also unbelievable).  He says he was eating out a lot in Texas, and although they have bomb mexican food, there is nothing like mom's home cooking.  My plan is to show Dyl some key recipes so he will be able to impress his future wife....(hey, I can dream, you know, and there is nothing like preparing early)!

So after the sugar rush started to die down, we went to Papa Ralph's and swam in the pool, ate some lunch, and came home sporting some freshly burned skin. Oops. I DID slather them with sunscreen, but apparently 3 or 4 hours in the sun and pool is enough to wear it down!  Isaac had so much fun swimming and jumping in the pool, you would never know he hated water last year! Woog and E swam around with their mask and goggles and came out of the pool only to eat a couple bites of lunch. It was a great day!

Later that night, we got to enjoy the fireworks from the safety of the inside of our van - driving Papa Ralph and Mimi to the Airport. They are back in CT right now, getting ready to enjoy some family time   at the big Family Reunion! I wish we could go - but traveling cross-country with 4 kids is not going to happen.

Today had all the makings of a Monday. Except it's Friday. When you stay home and don't have anywhere to be, you lose track of what day of the week it is. Trust me. I finally got a new calendar with big squares and I smothered my fridge with it, hoping this will solve my forgetting problem. I even wrote down "put trash out" on Thursday, because I learned my lesson. And don't suggest I set up reminders on my phone, because most of the day my phone has it's own agenda, or finds it's way into grubby little hands eager to play apps!  For the first time since Jeff has been gone, I didn't make my step goal. I just couldn't do it today, my back is still scorched and I was working on my Commander's Retirement Program when I wasn't chasing little buns around the house!

Today's Prayer:

Lord, thank you for your grace. Thank you is all I can say, because I'm a mess, and my need for grace at times overwhelms me. I'm so thankful that you don't leave me to my own devices, because if I listened to my heart, I would surely be steered into a very dark place.  These past few days I have felt your presence, felt the lightness of hope lifting up my burdens and worries.  Please continue to work on my heart, and remind me to slow down and enjoy this wonderful life you have given us. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...